The History of the Tabernacle of David Church
(Formerly Pentecostal Outreach Church of God In Christ)
Pentecostal Church of God in Christ was founded in Three Rivers, MI on December 12, 1954 by the late Elder Dexter and Mrs. Wilma Demyers. Elder and Sister Demyers commuted from Lansing, MI to Three Rivers, MI holding services in several of the saints' homes.
In 1955, they built a church. Elder Demyers pastored there for six years before being directed by the Lord to start a church in Lansing. In 1961, Elder Demyers began having church in a house on the north side of Lansing at 807 Drury Lane. They soon outgrew the house and God blessed their move to 1219 Case Street. Elder Demyers and Sister Demyers pastored there until his health prevented him from serving in full capacity.
In 1975, Elder Larry M. Trice, Sr. from Faith Temple Church of God in Christ in Jackson, MI was asked to come and assist the ailing Pastor. Elder Trice served faithfully under Elder Demyers until the of retirement Elder Dexter Demyers in September of 1976. Elder Trice, being obedient to his calling, then began pastoring Pentecostal COGIC, with his wife (Angelene) and three children (Cindy, Larry Jr. and Kimberly). Commuting from Jackson, MI to Lansing, MI and serving faithfully, he was appointed Pastor by the late Bishop John S. Bailey.
At the beginning of Elder Trice's pastorate, the congregation consisted of five members. But through prayer, fasting, outreach, and his passionate preaching of the gospel the church began to grow. Pastor Trice warned "not to get too complacent in your salvation, we must work until the day is done. There are still souls crying out for help." Souls were added and in 1980, the Pentecostal Family moved the ministry, commemorating the event by marching from 1219 Case Street to 1901 N. Massachusetts, the new home of the ministry. God continued to bless and give increase and it became necessary to move again. This time the vision was set to build a new facility. In September of 1991, the Pentecostal family experienced the fulfillment of the vision as they moved into their current facility located at 2645 W. Holmes Road, Lansing, MI. "Outreach" was also added to the name because Pastor Trice's vision was to go "out" and "reach" the community with the love of God.
Pastor Trice stated that God had spoken to him that in seven years the mortgage would be paid in full. In 1998 we experienced the miraculous, supernatural power of God and in seven years, just as God had spoken to Pastor Trice, the mortgage was paid off and we celebrated with a special mortgage burning ceremony. To God be the glory! Pastor Trice encouraged us to look toward phases II and III. On July 22, 1999, before phase II began, Elder Larry M. Trice Sr., Pastor of Pentecostal Outreach COGIC ceased from his labors and entered into the rest of the Lord. Following his death, the mantle was passed to Pastor, Teacher Angelene L. Trice and she was installed as Pastor in November of 1999 by Bishop Marvin C. Pryor, Presiding Prelate of the Third Jurisdiction of Southwestern Michigan of the Churches of God in Christ.
Pastor Angelene Trice lead faithfully by the all sufficient grace of God and empowered by the anointing of the Holy Ghost. Referred to as the woman of God "for such a time as this," she lead the congregation to a place of strength and refreshing. Pastor Angelene Trice lead in the completion of the Larry M. Trice, Sr. Community Outreach Center (phase II and components of phase III) and ably equipped the body of Pentecostal Outreach Church. Hearing from the Lord, in January, 2005, Pastor Angelene Trice passed the mantle of leadership and prayer to Elder Larry M. Trice, Jr. who had served under her as the Assistant Pastor and Church Administrator. Under the leadership of Pastor Larry Trice, Jr. the people of Pentecostal Outreach Church are empowered to go to another level of excellence, embracing diversity and spreading forth the Good News of Jesus Christ.
On March 5, 2006, Pentecostal Outreach Church of God In Christ made a historic name change to the "Tabernacle of David". Pentecostal Outreach has always been known as a place where the people love to usher in the presence of God through high praise and worship. Just as David created a tabernacle for the God's presence to dwell Pastor Larry M. Trice, Jr. is establishing a place of worship for the Spirit of God to dewll. We understand that Tabernacle of David goes beyond cultural, generational, denominational lines and beyond man-kind. So together in the same spirit is running, jumping, shouting, leaping and dancing, praising our God in the beauty of holiness. Come join with us in celebration in the spirit of the Tabernacle of David!